Gobble gobble, Happy Thanksgiving! Before you go unwrapping that beautiful bird this morning though, how about a 20 minute turkey tabata workout? Yes, I went there. Turkeys happen to make great substitutes for medicine balls, which I’m pretty sure you didn’t bring with you on your holiday travels. All you need is 20 minutes, a 10-20 pound, unwrapped turkey (preferably not still living) and some hand soap for sanitary purposes afterwards. The rest of the details are below!
printable pdf: turkey tabata workout
Notes (also available in the printable version)
- Pushup: Modified (on hands and knees with flat back) or regular. It’s perfectly ok to start off with regular and switch to the modified pushup. Legs wide or together for amore challenging variation.
- Gobble Squat: Hold turkey with both hands, arms bent like you are about to shoot a basketball. Squat down until legs parallel to the floor, knees behind toes &keeping your back flat. (Leaning forward for balance = ok. Curving your spine = not okay). As you return to standing, contract your booty and thigh muscles. Repeat.
- Turkey Shoulder Press: Hold turkey at the chest (about an inch away, right in front of the sternum). Extend the arms to the ceiling, reaching the turkey overhead, and slowly lower the bird back to the start position.
- Touch & Go Mountain Climber: Start in plank position. Bring left food forward and touch it on the floor under your chest. Quickly return leg to starting position and repeat with the other leg. Alternate back and forth for 30 seconds.
- Competition Burpee: Quickly lower to the ground so your chest touches the ground, push and pop up to standing, finishing with a small hop bringing your hands overhead.
- Turkey Pulse Lunge: Holding the turkey, step your left leg forward and bend your knees to lower your body into a lunge until both knees are bent 90 degrees. Slowly pulse up and down by about an inch. When time is up, push through your left heel to return to standing. Repeat with opposite leg the next round.
- Turkey Bicep Curl: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding turkey in both hands at the chest. Keeping the elbows close to the body, lower the ball toward the ground until the arms are fully extended. Then curl the ball back up to the chest. Lower the arms back to the starting position.
- Speed Skater: Cross your left leg behind the right leg as you bend your right knee 90 degrees so thigh is parallel to the floor. Extend your right arm out to the side and touch left hand near right foot. Jump a few feet to the other side, switching the position of your legs and arms.
The hubs-to-be and I are headed to Boston (not so) bright and early this morning (6:30am flights are always a good idea in theory) for a fun weekend with my family. I also have wedding band shopping, my besties baby shower and dinner with another best friend on the social calendar. I’m taking a much needed break before presenting my Master’s thesis a week from today. I’m feeling incredibly thankful for the path my life has taken over the past 3 years and all the blessings I’ve been given –great family, friends, great health, an incredible education, a wonderful community of bloggie friends and a budding career– what more could a girl ask for!?
I hope you enjoy getting sweaty with your bird this morning, fill up on turkey, mashed potatoes and pie and have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your loved ones!